Friday, May 27, 2016

Canadian Adventure: Country Mouse's First Few Weeks in the Big City

After about a year of talking about it, I'm finally in Montreal, Canada. And I can say that my first impression is, as I thought it would be, that it's overwhelming.
My second day in the city Steven and I walked to the grocery store where I promptly had a panic attack. One second we're walking down the aisles looking for peanut butter, the next I'm grabbing for the cart to steady myself, repeating, “Oh God, please don't let me pass out in the dairy aisle, they'll take my vegan card away.”
I don't know what happened. It could have been that everything was in a strange language. Maybe it was that there were too many people. Or maybe I was still tired from the move, but we had to stop our shopping and leave.
Once we got back to the apartment and I had a moment for my heart to slow down, I felt ridiculous that I had such a reaction. Steven gently reminded me that I didn't like grocery shopping in the states either. Still, I feel foolish for panicking and leaving like I did.
From that incident, I made the resolution to go out into our neighborhood everyday. Fortunately I have Archer to go with me so I don't feel totally alone. I know that I eventually will acclimate to the new surrounding and it won't bother me as much.
Through our walks I have discovered a nearby hiking trail next to the University of Montreal and that Mont Royal Park is nearby.

I'm convinced that my biggest fear is coming across someone while walking and they try to speak to me in French. Of course I wouldn't be able to answer and I'd have to scurry away like a crab.
Last week that fear was faced when a lady said something to me in French as Archer and I walked past. I stopped and said, “Pardon?” Which wasn't the right thing to say because she immediately repeated herself in FRENCH. So I said, “I'm sorry. I don't know any French.”
Now she was the one who looked terrified and uncomfortable. In broken English she said, “Thank you for hold dog.”
I said, “Oh, thank you.” Smiled and nodded.
When we parted ways we were both relieved that the conversation didn't have to continue.
Archer and I soon found out why she'd thanked us. Twenty-five feet down the trail there were three large huskies that were off the leash and frolicking. Their owners called and called for them as soon as Archer and I came into view, but they didn't listen. They immediately surrounded Archer (who always wears his leash outside). He looked like a puppy compared to these huge dogs and part of me cringed at the thought that this meeting of muzzles and butts might not end well. Fortunately they got their two scents worth and left us to continue our walk.
Earlier this week I attempted to ride the subway. Having now ridden the subterranean trains I can tell you that when they are coming down the tunnel toward the platform, the sound is akin to a tornado approaching. My skin crawls and a flight or fight response kicks in.
It's funny how I had no idea how much I was affected by experiencing the tornado in Tuscaloosa until I found myself pushed against the wall of the platform cringing away from the train.
But I persevered, got on the train and rode to our first destination. Steven and I met a friend and had Victoria Day dinner and after our dinner we had to ride back.
I suppose Steven is sensitive to color changes in my skin, because when he saw the twinge of green in my cheeks he offered to get off the train and ride the bus the rest of the way. I would have jumped for joy, but my arms were wrapped in a death grip around the seat I was sitting in, so I had to wait for the train to stop.
At the next platform I stumbled off like a drunken sailor and praised the heavens for solid ground. We took three flights of stairs back to the surface and hoofed it to our bus stop.
I've waited at bus stops before, but this was something else. There was a huge line of people down the sidewalk, all of which were waiting for the bus we were waiting for. I gave Steven a nervous look and he said, “This is a busy time for the buses. We can catch the next one if this one fills up.” And it very nearly did, but fortunately there was just enough space for us to sit.
A couple of young lovers sat in the seats next to us. I say young lovers, but it was more like a couple of handsy teens that forgot they were in public. As I sat there scowling at the these two pawing at each other and practicing mouth to mouth, I wondered at how they would be able to see when their stop came up.
Apparently they had eyes in the back of their heads because when we got to the next stop an elderly couple got onto the bus. And as I was preparing to give them my seat, these young lovers bolted up and offered the couple theirs.
I was satisfied that their public make-out session would now be over. After all, it's hard to do that sort of thing while standing on a moving bus. These teens proved that where there's a will there's a way and I was amazed by both their determination and balance. I don't know if they ever made it to their destination, Steven and I got off a few stops after that.
Yesterday, while I was puttering about the apartment, the fire alarm in our building went off. I took out the cat carriers and loaded up the cats. I leashed Archer and grabbed my cell phone and passport, then carted everyone outside. We stood around for an hour while three firetrucks full of firefighters ran all over the building. It turns out that there was a bucket of paper in the stairwell and some tossed a cigarette butt in. There was an incredible amount of smoke for that one bucket.

As I waited outside with Archer, Sweetie, and Saffie, an older well dressed man walked up and said something to me in French. I stammered out my apologizes. He brightened and said, “Oh, you're from the states! How long have you been here? Where did you come from? What are you doing up here from all the way down south?” Pretty much rapid fire good-natured questions. I did my best to answer each one politely.
He scratched Archer on the head and told me that the neighborhood is a pretty friendly one. At that moment another man, equally well dressed, walked up and spoke to the first man. I was then introduced to Mr. Derrick and Mr. Derrick, or the “double D's” as another neighbor called them as he walked past.
The two Derricks were laughing and telling me about different restaurants and people that lived in our neighborhood when a third person walked up. She's an older lady named Sandra and she has two cats at home. She knew Derrick and Derrick and saw them talking to me and decided to join the party.
She was particularly interested in Sweetie and Saffie and showed me pictures of her cats. She spoke sweetly to the cats and was equally attentive to Archer. Ms. Sandra and I ended up exchanging numbers and I think I will invite her out for a walk this next week.
            All in all, things have been going as well as can be expected. I will try to visit the grocery store again next week as well as ride the subway. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed that in the midst of a fire alarm, you were able to find cat carriers, corral cats, leash your dog, and find your phone and passport and all before the fire trucks left. I don't think I could have managed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wanted to lose my sh*t, but I knew my pets were depending on me. Also...I'm a Hufflepuff. We're particularly good finders.

      Delete